Saturday, July 4, 2015

Fall Down 99 Times, Get Up 100

It's not a new thing for fitness or healthy living advocates to remind us that no matter how many times you stumble, you're not a failure unless you don't get back up. So, you may wonder why I feel the need to revisit this issue? But really can we encourage each other too much? Can we remind each other to never give up too many times? I really don't think so! I also think that every time I read a personal story of pressing on through the stumbles and the falls, I feel more encouraged in my own journey. So, here is my personal story of recovering from a stumble.
I have lost and gained the same 30-40 pounds over the last 3+ years. Why? I work really hard and stick to my diet and lose weight, I feel great, I feel pride in myself. Then, I plateau or I gain. I stop seeing progress on the scale or the measuring tape. I immediately get discouraged and slip into the old habits. Then I start gaining weight, which adds to the discouragement, self criticism and depression. It's a vicious cycle that I've lived in for as long as I can remember. Sometimes the valley can last weeks, months or, in the past, even years. But, this time I didn't gain as much, I snapped out of it faster. That should be enough to make me feel proud, right? Well, it doesn't. I get in this mindset, "How much closer to your goal would you be, if you weren't so lazy and such a failure?" So, this time I was going through the motions, but not really feeling strong or encouraged. Then, yesterday, I went out for a run/walk, which I haven't done in several months. Every single time I have stopped and started my run training, I've always landed back at my 17 minute mile pace. But, this time, I felt like I was stronger than the other "restart" times. When I completed 2 miles, I realized that I had maintained a sub 16 minute mile pace. That may be slow to a lot of runners out there, but for me, that was a huge accomplishment. I'm incredibly proud of myself because I am NOT the same person I was when I weighed closer to 300 pounds than I like to admit. I am stronger, fitter and faster than I could have imagined when I was at my heaviest, unhappiest and unhealthiest. So, next time you step on the scale and see the return of those pounds you worked so hard to get off, don't give up. Yes, it sucks, yes it's hard to imagine how you slipped up when you worked so hard. But, you are not at square one, I promise. Get out there and work again, don't give up on yourself. YOU ARE WORTH IT! Remember that, embrace that and most of all, BELIEVE IT!



If you're struggling and need some encouragement or just want to talk to someone that's been there? Contact me, I am happy to talk, listen, encourage or whatever you need!

God bless, Melissa

2 comments:

  1. I have been the same way over the past 3-4 years. I work hard, then something always happens and I end up gaining weight back. And that always made me depressed for a while, making it harder to want to work out. It is so difficult to start again, but you are right, the harder the climb, the more glorious the view from the top.

    ReplyDelete